Facebook for Businesses
Join us on Facebook! Destination Gippsland has launched a new Facebook page to provide a platform for the Gippsland tourism industry to network, share news items and industry issues or gain feedback by Destination Gippsland. Simply click here and “Like” our page to be part of this initiative.
Destination Gippsland manages two Facebook sites:
• The Destination Gippsland Industry Facebook page is intended to provide a platform for the Gippsland tourism industry to network, share news items and industry issues or gain feedback by Destination Gippsland.
• The Inspired by Gippsland consumer Facebook page is intended to build brand awareness, provide local visitor information and engage with potential visitors to Gippsland. We welcome the industry’s contributions to both of these sites.
Please ensure you read the Facebook Conditions of Use before making any comments or posts.
Facebook is a social networking site with over 500 million active users worldwide, half of which log in every day. If Facebook was a country it would be the 3rd largest in the world. Facebook’s fastest growing demographic is those 35 years old and older.
Using Facebook to market your business
• Create a Facebook Page for your business (refer steps below). Ensure you give a lot of information on your business page, including photos, videos
• Social media should not be used for a return on investment, it’s about building brand awareness and customer care. What makes you shine in social media are the relationships you form
• Start indentifying the “Facebook Groups” and “Facebook Pages” of interest to you and your business. To do so, use search bar on the top of your account and search for topics that match an interest that ties into travel or into your business offerings (e.g. bushwalking, whale watching, wine, art, etc.)
• Join these groups or become a “liker” of these pages (you can do so on the group or page itself) and participate
• Promote your group to your customers. You will then be able to send emails to all your group members using Facebook, or invite them to events
• Facebook also offers the possibility to display ads (paid for service) and target them to your market directly. More information on Facebook ads. Make sure you track their success in Google Analytics.
• Further to Facebook Pages, Facebook has launched Facebook Places, a service that allows users to “check in” at a place from their mobile devices (such as iPhone). As a business owner it is important you claim your Place and entice users to check in at your business. Doing so will help your business rank higher on Facebook. It will also allow you to offer special deals to your “likes” who have checked in at your place.
Don’t yet have Facebook? Setting up a new account for your business is simple. Watch the video