Destination Gippsland – Board of Directors – 2018 Expression of Interest
Destination Gippsland Ltd is the peak tourism organisation for Gippsland. It is a public not-for-profit company established in 2008 by Tourism Victoria (now Visit Victoria), the six Gippsland Local Government Authorities, and Parks Victoria. The primary task is to work with all tourism stakeholders to drive improvement in the Gippsland tourism sector via the development of tourism infrastructure and new products; industry training and excellence; and regional destination marketing.
Destination Gippsland was the first Regional Tourism Board established in Victoria under the tourism model outlined in Visit Victoria’s Regional Tourism Action Plan. In its first three years of operation Destination Gippsland won the Victorian Tourism Award for Marketing every year (2008, 2009, 2010), entered the Victorian Tourism Hall of Fame (2010,) and won the Australian Tourism Award for Marketing (February 2011). The organisation has also played a key role in coordinating the region’s successful tourism response to the bushfires in January/February 2009, floods in 2011, and now the Latrobe Valley Economic Transition programme. Destination Gippsland has invested heavily in industry leadership, skills development, training opportunities and research to complement the ‘Inspired by Gippsland’ brand marketing.
An important focus for the organisation and next term of the Board of Directors will be to continue to improve the efficiencies of the tourism structure and available resources across Gippsland and to help secure new tourism infrastructure projects and investment in the region.
Expressions of Interest are sought for the appointment of skills-based Directors for terms of up to three years according to the Board’s rotation system of governance. Current Directors whose terms are expiring are eligible to re-nominate.
THE ROLE OF THE BOARD
As a Board Director you will help drive the development of tourism in Gippsland by leading industry strategy and pursuing infrastructure, product development, marketing, and relationships with a wide range of stakeholders. Specifically you will:
- Develop and monitor the implementation of the Strategic Plan
- Determine all new policies governing the operation of Destination Gippsland Ltd
- Approve and monitor the Annual Business Plan and Budget
- Ensure compliance with all legal requirements of a public company (limited by guarantee)
The Board meets as often as required to conduct the business of the Company and is generally meets six times each calendar year. Meetings are held in various Gippsland locations, and occasionally in Melbourne.
In addition to the above mentioned skills, applicants will be assessed by the selection panel on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated capacity to contribute to decision making of the organisation
- The ability to network and act as an ambassador promoting the peak body to a range of stakeholders in the Tourism industry and/or Government.
- An understanding of the regional, national and international tourism environment.
- A “can do” attitude – positive, optimist and enthusiastic. The ability to look at problems and challenges and be able to find a way to overcome them.
- Ability to regular attend board meetings and important related meetings, with adequate preparation for meetings including reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
- Full participation in the governance process, including an understanding of the policy role of a Board.
- A commitment to teamwork and building working relationships with committee members, including those with different backgrounds and ways of thinking.
- Active participation in evaluation and planning efforts, volunteering for and willingly accepting additional projects and duties.
Please note that applications for appointment will be reviewed by a panel selected by the Chairman, with recommendations then made to the members for decision (our members being the six Gippsland Shires, plus Visit Victoria).
Appointments will be made based on skills and not geographic or sector representation. Interviews may be held for short-listed applicants.
It is expected that preferred applicants will be advised by the end of October. On Thursday 29th November 2018 we will hold the final meeting of the current Board of Directors, the members’ Annual General Meeting (AGM), and the first meeting of the new Board.
Destination Gippsland is a not-for-profit company and these are voluntary positions, however a modest allowance is available to assist with travel and printing expenses. The company will meet accommodation expenses that are incurred in attending company meetings.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should complete the following Expression of Interest form and submit by email no later than midday, Monday 17th September 2018 to:
Helen Rose, Company Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org
All enquiries should be made to the Destination Gippsland Company Secretary, Helen Rose at email@example.com or 03-5156 1303; or our Chief Executive Officer Terry Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0428 595 634.