Applications are open for the Ken Hore Tourism Mentoring Program 2018 – 2019
The purpose of the Ken Hore Tourism Mentoring Program (known as the Mentoring Program) is to honour the contribution made by Ken Hore to the Gippsland and Phillip Island tourism industry. It does so by providing an annual career development opportunity to young tourism professionals or new entrants in the Gippsland and Phillip Island Tourism Industry. Specifically it will:
- Promote skills and excellence among young people and new entrants into the tourism industry extending tourism networks and providing a broader understanding of the industry;
- Contribute to the continued development and growth of tourism in Gippsland and Phillip Island; and
- Perpetuate the memory, skills and contribution of Ken Hore.
The Mentoring Program is available to individuals who have joined the tourism industry in the last 5 years who are working in the tourism industry in Gippsland or Phillip Island. Applicants may be full time, part time or casual and can be working in any aspect of the private or publicly funded tourism sector.
Written applications are now open and the successful applicant/s and the winner will be selected by a panel made up of Destination Gippsland, Destination Phillip Island and Bass Coast Shire Council representatives. Please note applicants from these organisations are eligible to apply.
The Mentoring Program seeks to:
- Provide an opportunity for young achievers and new entrants to grow professionally;
- Provide an opportunity for young achievers and new entrants to share their experience with their peers and the industry on completion; and
- Support recipients to be ambassadors for the Gippsland and Phillip Island tourism industry
The Mentoring Program will provide the successful recipient with 12 months of mentoring support and opportunities that includes:
- Complimentary tickets to the respective Gippsland Tourism Conference and Phillip Island Tourism Conference
Value of the Gippsland Tourism Forum $250 ( 3 forums)
Value of the Phillip Island Tourism Conference $150 (1 day)
- Complimentary ticket to industry development workshops provided by Destination Gippsland, Destination Phillip Island and Bass Coast Shire Council
- There are 3 Workshop days one held on Phillip Island, one held in Gippsland, and one held in Melbourne at Visit Victoria and VTIC (Victorian Tourism Industry Council)
- Six x Monthly mentoring sessions with an assigned leader in the Gippsland or Phillip Island tourism industry
- Opportunities to directly learn and experience their area of special interest in the tourism industry (this could include appointments with business owners/managers, behind the scenes tours, hands-on experience, meetings with peak industry bodies)